PhpFox vs Social Engine

edited February 2017 in SocialEngine

Hi Guys,

I have 3 phpfox sites, I'm wondering if I should be upgrading to Social Engine due to the poor dev route of phpfox, plus the fact younet now own it..can anyone tell me how both scripts compare with each other? Last time I checked Social Engine was quite a bit behind phpfox, but with recent changes to the team etc, has it caught up and would I lose anything by moving scripts?

PS, I have tried to find out myself, but the SE demo on the website has not worked for ages!, I just get the error below...not a good sign already..

We're sorry!
We are currently experiencing some technical issues. Please try again later.

Error code: 48f6c5

Matt.

Comments

• Hi,

Both myself (you would know me as data66 in the fox forum if you have been there a while) and Raymond (phpFox founder) work for SocialEngine now. The demo was down today due to server maintenance but it wasn't down for ages as I was on it yesterday. :) It works now too.

I currently use phpFox for the main ScriptTechs site and my author site. I've looked for over a year for a replacement, testing just about every sn out there. I decided to move them to SE. Not because I work there but because it's the only one I've found so far that has the features, security, and improvements that I want.

One big thing that clients wanted is the ability to disable the "is friends with," "updated profile", etc sort of feeds. That's a built in setting with SE so you don't need to modify source files in order to get that feature.

4.9 of SE will have the ability to upload multiple photos via the feed (I don't need that but many others wanted it).

SE has networks which will work well for both of my sites. I love that feature.

There are a lot of improvements coming very soon. I can post more comparisons in a while. I am cooking atm and need to go finish that.

• There are posts about this by other clients btw, on my main forum and in this one.

In SE, there are member levels; in phpFox there are user groups. That takes a little getting used to but they work about the same.

There are no subcategories for the marketplace in SE whereas, phpFox has them.

SE has the send button for mail and you can hit enter to go to the next line. That's nice. phpFox v4 doesn't have that. I never used phpFox v4 for my live sites as I never found it stable enough.

Both forums are similar (forum modules I mean). I use Vanilla forums for this site and default fox forum (soon SE) for my other site.

SE has TinyMCE well integrated and I hadn't heard of any vulnerabilities with that part.

It's kind of hard to compare them fully until 4.9 is released as that's coming with some great stuff.

Check for the other posts as @beast-usa had done a very good comparison here and at our archived forum.

• Thanks data66 :) that is a great reply. So if I moved from fox to SE and used the import script, apart from the above, do you think I would miss any fox features if I used most of them on my site? and of course lose any data?

• I suggest to set up the SE trial (it's a 30 day free trial) in a subfolder and do the import and see what you think. Noting from my import thread the issues I see for my own site. They aren't big issues though. I just had users move blogs in groups/pages to the Discussions in their groups/pages and move videos in groups/pages to the discussions area too. SE has Groups but there are no blogs or videos for them. You can get a third party plugin but I prefer vanilla installs for most things. I am making plugins (which are in the se market) for the other things I find I need.

I think you might miss a few things but I think you will like the control over what posts to the main feed and networks are great too! Especially for your site, they allow folks to connect based on their interests and it's quite flexible in how you decide to use it, or not use it.

Privacy - blocking - omg you will really want to see that. I believe it will be something many that change from fox will love.

• i moved from phpfox to SE and i think SE along with SEADDONS is definitely 10 steps ahead of phpfox...if you want to see how beautifully it works then please dont try SE demo rather try SEADDONS demo..u will feel that phpfox is not even close to SE + SEADDONS clubbed together and moreover SEADDONS service is damn good and they respond to ur every query with smile.. dont know whether data would allow posting of SEADDONS url here i guess u can just google SOCIALENGINEADDONS and u can try their main demo as there are many variant of demo available as per one's need....all the best and i guess u wont regret if u move to SE but have no idea what complication u will face if u move from one script to another as ur have a running website...

data66
  • You can post it.

• edited April 2017

Im having to make this decision myself. Been using phpfox since they first came out. I have a couple of sites that have pretty good revenue and cant decide wether or not to upgrade to phpfox v4 or migrate to socialengine. I had socialengine for a bit years ago and liked it but it was slow. Any help here would be awesome.

One thing im also curious about is, do you have the abillity to change certain permissions per user level like you can with fox?

Example,

I want upgraded paid female members to have the ability to create a blog, but may not want a regular non upgraded female user to be able to create a blog. Is this possible as I use permisions per user level as a selling point to upgrade.

• Member levels allow you to set permissions like you want them. I have an author site. My authors can post blogs but my readers can only read blogs. The free trial is for 30 days if you need it. The importer is free too.

My site is the same speed on SE as it was on Fox.

• @beast-usa is using it on a much larger site than mine I think. I don't recall his member levels but I'm sure he'll respond here when he gets online.

vizrutaKirkus
  • thank you so much

data66beast-usa
  • edited April 2017

@max99 said:
    Im having to make this decision myself. Been using phpfox since they first came out. I have a couple of sites that have pretty good revenue and cant decide wether or not to upgrade to phpfox v4 or migrate to socialengine. I had socialengine for a bit years ago and liked it but it was slow. Any help here would be awesome.

One thing im also curious about is, do you have the abillity to change certain permissions per user level like you can with fox?

Example,

I want upgraded paid female members to have the ability to create a blog, but may not want a regular non upgraded female user to be able to create a blog. Is this possible as I use permisions per user level as a selling point to upgrade.

I'm very happy with SE. I never really used the old version tried it for a about a week and went to PHPFOX. But the new version is SO MUCH faster then FOX it's night & day on my site.

Yes you can set user groups to have or not have access, limits, networks... like fox with a few more features.

The paid users are tricky. If you set up one paid user group even setting default to free. Anyone signing up will be asked to choose the paid plan. :( I have lots of levels so setup a FREE paid group. :) "Regular Membership (FREE)" I also have a link on the main menu so anyone can upgrade to a higher level anytime they like. Most start with one computer then just keep adding more! LOL

Alt text

And if you notice it's highest to lowest :( it's how you setup them up. Once you set them up you can't re-order them. I set them up the first time in the AdminCP lowest to highest. But then I needed to go over four pages to make adjustments to the lowest memberships. Plus having OCD :) it drove me nuts seeing it starting at 15 and going to 1! So I deleted them all and put them back 15 to 1 so it started at 1 in the AdminCP! But then when it was to late to fix I noticed it listed them that way on the sign-up page 15 to 1.

Next hard part MAKE subscription plans EXACTLY the same when you set them up is SE as the members in your old site. (I didn't) :( When imports them if that membership doesn't exist those members will be in limbo. LOL Unless Data's importer does it differently? I changed my subscriptions so I needed to go to each paid member that fell under the change & change it myself.

I hope that helps any other questions just ask. :) Or if you need screen shots of anything in the AdminCP. I have lots of them over here https://forum.scripttechs.com/discussion/175/switching-from-phpfox-to-social-engine#

data66Kirkusmax99
  • Re: Importer - I'm not sure. Ray went through the whole thing and improved it from what SEAO had done. My author site imported fine for me with my authors - publishers - editors - agents - readers - normal users all in the proper user groups. I didn't have paid subscriptions. I love networks as I can use it for my genres and people can join the genres they want to see stuff about.

beast-usa
  • @beast-usa said:

@max99 said:

Example,

I'm very happy with SE. I never really used the old version tried it for a about a week and went to PHPFOX. But the new version is SO MUCH faster then FOX it's night & day on my site.

Yes you can set user groups to have or not have access, limits, networks... like fox with a few more features.

The paid users are tricky. If you set up one paid user group even setting default to free. Anyone signing up will be asked to choose the paid plan. :( I have lots of levels so setup a FREE paid group. :) "Regular Membership (FREE)" I also have a link on the main menu so anyone can upgrade to a higher level anytime they like. Most start with one computer then just keep adding more! LOL

Alt text

And if you notice it's highest to lowest :( it's how you setup them up. Once you set them up you can't re-order them. I set them up the first time in the AdminCP lowest to highest. But then I needed to go over four pages to make adjustments to the lowest memberships. Plus having OCD :) it drove me nuts seeing it starting at 15 and going to 1! So I deleted them all and put them back 15 to 1 so it started at 1 in the AdminCP! But then when it was to late to fix I noticed it listed them that way on the sign-up page 15 to 1.

Next hard part MAKE subscription plans EXACTLY the same when you set them up is SE as the members in your old site. (I didn't) :( When imports them if that membership doesn't exist those members will be in limbo. LOL Unless Data's importer does it differently? I changed my subscriptions so I needed to go to each paid member that fell under the change & change it myself.

I hope that helps any other questions just ask. :) Or if you need screen shots of anything in the AdminCP. I have lots of them over here https://forum.scripttechs.com/discussion/175/switching-from-phpfox-to-social-engine#

Ok Im gong to do this migration.Will probably have socialengineaddons do it for me.

Im going from a phpfox 3.0.0 to social engine 4.9.
    Is that possible?

Im having everything copied to a brand new server and will do the migration there and then just point the DNS to the new server when done.

Question,

I have paid memberships but have always just done them manually. Meaning I never set up subscriptions. I just have different member levels and if someone wants to go to that level they can send me the $$.

1. Do I still need to do anything special with subscriptions or member levels like youre saying?
      Do I still have to make some order?

2.When migrating will i have to go into Social Engine first and make certain user levels etc or will the migration make them for me?

1. Should I get the base version of SE for $299 and get the advanced mods from seaddons? Or is it best to get the $549 version

2. Does SE handle SSL well? Im also setting my site up with SSL because my members in chat are having tough time using flash cams etc.

If ANYONE has any tips on this migration, what to expect, best add-ons to buy etc, PLEASE comment.

I appreciate anyones help!!!! Thanks

• Cazaratech migrates to their hosting for free and it's who I recommend you use.

My author site was a fox v3 site that I migrated to SE v4.9. Worked fine. Just follow the import instructions and backup first. The instructions mention how to do it. On a fresh SE install.

No, don't get the basic and then plugins. You want to see how the script works with your site. Get the advanced SE like I did. Well that's what I recommend. If you want to add stuff after, you can but test well as there are always issues once plugins are added.

Yes SE works fine with SSL. My site has no issue, the SE community has no issue, the SE demo has no issue, my demo has no issue. :)

Best tip is to use certified plugins only. Those are tested by SE. There aren't a lot yet but I assume there will be more. They also don't allow callbacks which is a good thing. The main issues I see when working in SE support is issues with plugins. (third party)

I use free subscriptions on my site, just to get authors, agents, readers, etc in the right levels. You can do it however you feel best.

• you are always such a help. thank you so much. I already have a server so im good. dont mind paying for the migration if its reasonable as I may mess it up and wont have anyone to fix it.

• Anyone know a service that can install Red5 server and get avchat video chat up and running?

• I don't as I don't use chats. Perhaps someone else has.

max99
  • If you can delete the above comment Id appreciate it. Im just getting super frustrated. Im running the migration script myself ( until seaddons opens back up ) and it times out every 5 min.

I have to hit resume each time. Its been going for over an hour and is saying after 1 hour .01% complete.

1027 hours left, thats 42 days! I have no clue what to do at this point.

Duration: 1 hour, 16 minutes, 37 seconds (4,598 seconds total) have passed, 1027 hours, 5 seconds (3,697,205 seconds total) remaining.
    Processed: 4000 of 3059358 records have been processed.
    Progress: 0.1 complete.

• edited November 2017

I had no trouble with the migration script but if your site is big, it could be it has to do that in due to server. I'm not sure.
    I deleted the comment you mentioned. Know that you can review experts at the SE expert marketplace.

• @max99 said:
    If you can delete the above comment Id appreciate it. Im just getting super frustrated. Im running the migration script myself ( until seaddons opens back up ) and it times out every 5 min.

I have to hit resume each time. Its been going for over an hour and is saying after 1 hour .01% complete.

1027 hours left, thats 42 days! I have no clue what to do at this point.

Duration: 1 hour, 16 minutes, 37 seconds (4,598 seconds total) have passed, 1027 hours, 5 seconds (3,697,205 seconds total) remaining.
    Processed: 4000 of 3059358 records have been processed.
    Progress: 0.1 complete.

Have you checked execution time allowed in your php.ini ? Might be that, ask your service provider.

data66
  • It was the 60 second apache timeout that was the issue. bumped it up to 300 seconds and all working now, Thanks

• You can ask socialengineaddons they use to custom install everything so if you need.. And their host also have the red5 option included if u need an host. Btw seao addons are making my wallet empty lol i am buying everything from them these days!

• yes so far this has been a nightmare with them. I ended up doing most of the migration myself, my site has been down for 2 weeks now and have lost over $1000 in revenue at this point and my sites are still not fully migrated.

• edited January 15

Bumping this back up to see if anyone else has comments re: phpfox vs SE. I'm personally more concerned with security, support services available and setup/admin ease (for a non-coder like myself) rather than lots of bells and whistles. Groups were always an important element, so comparing the two in that respect may help me decide.

It doesn't look as though groups in SE have a discussion forum module as part of it? Ongoing discussions will be key for my community, and tools like the ability to tag and have long threads that are easy to follow will be important.

EDIT TO ADD another question: Do both platforms offer a mobile app that work well?

Again, just bumping it up to see if there is any more feedback about the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

• I migrated my author site to SE. If you are still a member, feel free to log in and explore. I had no trouble. I use Groups and it has Discussions (forum).

I use the Atlas theme which is responsive so I don't need mobile app and don't have those fees associated with mobile apps. There are mobile apps available.

I love the control I have in SE, networks are awesome - I use them for genres. With 4.10 coming soon, we'll have hashtags, smileys and more control over networks and profile mapping so it'll be pretty complete.

I don't miss much. My ST main site is PF v3. If you were to use PF, I suggest v3 over v4. Less issues. However, SE has a better setup for CDN and external storage. Honestly, you should ask @Zixia604 as he just migrated a huge community. Perhaps PM him.

DenaP
  • edited January 21

Are you currently (or with the newer version) able to tag someone in discussions in SE?

• @DenaP said:
    Are you currently (or with the newer version) able to tag someone in discussions in SE?

In 4.10 we have username tagging (mentions) .

DenaP