Netbeans IDE

For my local development, I use Netbeans IDE. I love it for my projects. I have two set ups:

Macbook Pro
Mamp Pro

and

Win 10
Xampp

I have come to prefer the Macbook with Mamp Pro over the Win 10 set up.

From the Netbeans site:

An IDE is much more than a text editor. The NetBeans Editor indents lines, matches words and brackets, and highlights source code syntactically and semantically. It lets you easily refactor code, with a range of handy and powerful tools, while it also provides code templates, coding tips, and code generators.

The editor supports many languages from Java, C/C++, XML and HTML, to PHP, Groovy, Javadoc, JavaScript and JSP. Because the editor is extensible, you can plug in support for many other languages.

Webwolf

Comments

• I also use netbeans.

data66
  • I use Komodo Edit, but I've also used NetBeans and like it.

data66
  • A little off-topic, but I have to say that Mamp Pro is excellent! When I found it I'm sure I heard angels singing.

data66
  • Personally I'm a Windows person myself. Can't really stand the idea of Macs (just don't like them, let's not open that can of beans). The only thing I can stand using Netbeans for is Java (learning currently in Uni, and only using cause I'm forced to) - why do you all prefer it over something simple and lightweight like Notepad++ or TextWrangler? Curious to know what all the fuss is about with these programs that have 1001 features that are nearly never used.

data66
  • I use it as an IDE. Works great for that. I used to use Notepad++ on win. Loved it too. It depends on what I need to do.

• A few reasons I prefer to use a dedicated IDE is for things like... error checking on the fly, colored text, and autocomplete. Probably the error checking on the fly has benefited me more than anything since I'm a complete newbie at coding.

data66