Need a little help with the Embedly changes!

Hi guys, It's been a few months since I was here. Been very busy trying to make our community grow and the website to work properly. Overall things are going well, but we still have to grow some more to get to a sustainable point. I promise I'll soon post a full report with our experience up to this point!

But what brings me here now is a cry for help. I supose everyone who uses the free tier of Embedly have received their e-mail recently, about shutting down their free API (should happen next monday). My site is a v3.8 and makes use of that free tier. To the other fellow PF site owners, how are you dealing with this? I think I saw a fix or some sort of tutorial to avoid the need to use embedly on v3 a long time ago, but I couldn't find it. So, any help is appreciated!!!

In case people don't know what I'm talking about, I'm copying Embedly's email text below.
Thanks!

Hi Andre,

As we look ahead to the future, we have some important updates and changes to share. Today we are launching new simplified pricing for Embedly's products.

Our goal is to reliably support the rapid changes in media consumption across platforms and browsers. In order to turn that goal into a reality, we will be raising our prices, as we double down on our investment in necessary areas like infrastructure, provider support, and analytics. This will help us to, for example, better improve usability for publisher teams, and create new and innovative ways to embed content based on trends.

After analyzing all our products and their usage, we’ve come up with a new pricing model which fairly supports our increased costs and helps us deliver better services, too. The biggest change comes in removing our free API tiers. Over the last 6 years, you, our users, have been fair to us, and we’re committed in being fair and loyal to you too. While the free API may be gone, we will still provide a free option through Cards.

We are simplifying the pricing to just two plans.

• Cards which allows publishers to customize cards, remove branding and analyze performance with analytics.
  • API which is a bundle of the Embed, Extract, Display and Video APIs into a single plan. We hope this makes it easier for developers to use us for all their embedding needs.

In an effort to minimize the impact, we are going to take a number of steps.

• We have updated the embed.ly/code generator to be more powerful, so free users will not need to sign up for an account to use cards.
  • We will be moving all paid user accounts to the new plans on April 1st, 2017. If you would like to manually move over or cancel, you can do so in app.embed.ly.
  • We will do blackout tests for free API users on the April 3rd and 10th where we will block free API keys for 30 minutes to ensure that all developers are made aware of these changes.
  • On April 17th, we will block all free API key traffic.

As always, we’re here and happy to answer your questions. Send those technical questions via support@embed.ly for the fastest response- and for those account related questions- just hit reply.

Sean

Co-founder Embedly

Comments

• edited April 2017

There was a fix by Steward in my main forum that was to use the Youtube api but then only Youtubes would work in the video section.

Andre
  • Oh I see Data, thanks! Will check there to see if I find it. But is this the only way to solve that? I wonder what other PHPFox site owners are doing... anyone??
    Thanks!

• I changed to SocialEngine for one site. The other will change soon. I'll see if I can get the tutorial for you.

• https://scripttechs.com/forum/thread/2323/v3-8-and-beyond/page_2/ the solution by steward was there but he removed it. You might be able to contact him for it. He is still around at times. I believe he's on here @steward too :)

Andre