Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.
All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.

Looking for Script

I don't think there probably is a script for my vision, maybe it needs to be made from scratch or maybe there is one

If there is not what would be the cost from scratch? and if there is a similar one I can edit/hack to fir my needs please share

Hmm lets see how I can describe with out giving away my niche, well lets try it as a music site for example, landing page would be categories like boxes with genres like rock, disco, rap, the when you click lets say rock, it takes you to a usa map there you can choose state, with option for sub areas county, than an option for city to read on local bands and review them,

Bands can set bands to state, county or city as their location, in other words they are not limited to local, the categories can be state, county or city because like I said bands is just an example, it's not what I'm actually making

Bands should have a review page when you click on the band, they will not be making the band page, I will be making it as this is mostly a review page though maybe members can have a profile page, would be nice if they can post articles on their profile page and a forum for discussions

This is just a request I have had from a facebook group so much more details would be needed if I even pick up the project, I would obviously get a gofundme account, i realize this wouldn't be very cheap to make right but does sound like it would take off, not even sure I want to get into such a project but I would steer them into the right direction and help some, it's for a very good cause

Comments

• You could start with v3 as a base and go from there with customizations. A custom script from the ground up could be from 100k - 200k so it's good to have a base to start with.

• Another few to try are mentioned at ScriptTechs archives. I believe Dazzy was trying Jamrooms but I don't know if it is for music.

• ouch 200k, hmm v3 or v4 too be honest last years shakeup lack of transparency and false promises its difficult to consider them, not saying totally no but they scare me

Jamrooms does look interesting, will probably try the demo

• 200k is just something I heard others saying before. I am not sure what it would cost you if you start from scratch instead of using a prebuilt as a base.

• Maybe as a trial you could go with PF and a "Reviews" add-on, maybe something like Business Page by YouNet. Personally I wouldn't have a problem building a new site on PF 3 as it's pretty stable and the code should be good for years on current versions of php and MySQL. You're looking at less that $1k plus hosting. If nothing else it might be an inexpensive way to test your niche idea.

data66
  • edited August 2016

I'm thinking pf and it's timeline intense format would use too much resources even if I'm not using it for timeline, from what I recall it will still make calls and there is no deep core settings for turning of many core features, some but no true control because of the core and hard coding,

As for the 200k I can probably get it for 30k from over seas but the communication and workflow would to too unstable

Its hard to describe the idea with out giving away the niche, I'll pm you both the idea in the next couple of days, I trust you both after these years, not even sure I want this project, it's pretty intense but a very promising niche

data66Kirkus
  • If you do custom, get someone to do it with laravel maybe. TemplateMechanic could price it perhaps.

We can discuss in pm though once I see what you have in mind. :) I mean when you do send it.

• It might be easier to comment on knowing what it's about. I certainly wouldn't steal your idea... I'm still trying to launch my last idea. LOL.

data66vizruta
  • kirkus how is ur website doing ..template mechanic came up with good template for sports for v4...but i guess you wont upgrade.... you wont upgrade..... you wont upgrade ;)

data66Kirkus
  • What Data said

we have been developing our own proprietary social community and the price tag is not for the faint of heart.

30k from an overseas developer is not reasonable for a properly coded, latest technology community with some bells and whistles. That sounds more like a deposit to begin design.

data66
  • Kreeper, as Kirkus stated...it is not us you have to worry about stealing your idea since many of us have been working on our own ideas for years. Although I would not post it on the forum. If you PM me more details I may be able to suggest some ideas (at least with the add-ons since I have purchased many thousands of dollars worth...many just to try out to see their abilities). What worries me is that when I finally get at least one of my ideas moving and it becomes successful (money coming in) then how long before one of the big guys who has millions to throw at it takes it to a level that I can't complete. Oh well...that's the fun of it.

Kirkus
  • @vizruta said:
    kirkus how is ur website doing ..template mechanic came up with good template for sports for v4...but i guess you wont upgrade.... you wont upgrade..... you wont upgrade ;)

LOL. Nah, I think I'm pretty much married to 3.4 -- too many modifications and customized stuff.

I'm taking some courses on marketing and such and will relaunch again somewhere around January.

data66
  • AWESOME...Kirkus!

Kirkus
  • okay so we can expect some marketing lessons from you here..thats great ;)

data66Kirkus
  • I actually teach entrepreneurs in my free time for a local company to me

data66
  • Hmm I have not got any email notifications, I thought no one replied, use to be there were notification emails here,

Anyways I have been working too many long hours to have any time to pursue my idea, that and being an artist type of person this whole phone net has killed much of my inspiration which is what motivates me,

Thanks folks!!! :)

• "this whole phone net has killed much of my inspiration"

Explain :smile: please...

• @Kreeper said:
    Hmm I have not got any email notifications, I thought no one replied, use to be there were notification emails here,

Anyways I have been working too many long hours to have any time to pursue my idea, that and being an artist type of person this whole phone net has killed much of my inspiration which is what motivates me,

Thanks folks!!! :)

Remember to go to your profile and click Notifications and be sure you have checked to get email notifications. :)

• http://forum.scripttechs.com/discussion/18/how-to-manage-notifications-here#latest don't forget the tutorial that has images for those that need to see how to manage the notifications.

• @JohnJr said:
    "this whole phone net has killed much of my inspiration"

Explain :smile: please...

if you look at my site it is so rich in details and pretty which can only be appreciated on desktop, on phone you can not, you can do many things to make it work but is never the same, it's like desktop is a castle and phone is a wooden shack lol

Its also like double the work to also make a proper app and fitting and time is not something i have much spare time of lately, if i had more time i guess i could find insiration even for the dreaded phone thing lol, but i'm sooo far behind on phone teck because of my personal dislike of phones, i never text i limit calls to 2 min and nener ever instal an app because i dislike the whole phone thing

i understand ppl love it greater than life lol but i literally cant stand it, i'm old and remember when ppl did not revolve their life around a phone so thats why i have this deep roored dislike for phones

yes i know as business i should not care but as artist and old school its rooted :)

Kirkus
  • I don't use mobile except if I have to. I prefer desktop view. It is bigger and better imo. Make your site how you want it and people will come. There are many that still use desktops and use larger ipads and stuff like that.

Kirkus
  • lol i bet in 2 years they will have holograms and semi virtual glasses and phones will be obsolete haha, oh wait they already do 0.0

data66
  • You will note that ScriptTechs main site has the mobile module disabled (v3.9 site) and my author site does too. This site, vanilla forums, I believe is responsive by design but I'm not sure. I use a laptop and have no issues with it though. Just make the site. Do it for desktop and mobile will adjust if they like the topic.

KreeperKirkusvizruta
  • I am so with Kreeper on the "phone thing". I use a few phone apps (fantasy football to check scores and Facebook to post a photo) but not many. If I want to know something and am too lazy to get off the couch, I'll pick up my phone and Google it.

It's so true that you lose much of the "art" of a website on mobile. Unfortunately that's where the internet is headed, especially Millennials. It's like they want the info and really don't care what it looks like. That's the way I see it anyway.

data66
  • Responsive design helps though.

Kirkus
  • For our business mobile is mandatory... It comes down to user preference not developer preference and the majority of online users demand mobile connectivity.

data66Kirkusvizruta
  • What about the free mobile wrappers we posted about? Would that help those sites that might need something but don't want to screw up the main site look and feel?

• My sites also must be mobile friendly, and they are. I'm just not a fan of mobile, personally.

Zixia604
  • @data66 said:
    What about the free mobile wrappers we posted about? Would that help those sites that might need something but don't want to screw up the main site look and feel?

• The free mobile app wrappers are mobile apps. Which is why I asked if anyone tried them since they are mobile apps. I had tried it before for ScriptTechs and it worked fine.

KirkusJohnJr