Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.
All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.

Groups

In 4.4, whats the difference between Groups and Pages? It looks like they are about the same thing

Comments

• Well there is the Pages module that has the Pages and Groups that you see in v3. Then, there is the new Groups app. It has more features to it. It allows for notifications from the group and I don't recall what else yet. I believe it's in the blog.

• Groups should be more secure for privacy this way too as they have their own settings. I think this will be better for sites that need private groups.

• Having both is pretty redundant, not to mention confusing for members. They should have combined the features of both into one application. The way it is now, its like having a menu item for "Pics" and a separate one labeled "Photo Albums"

• edited July 2016

The issue before was that groups is combined into pages. This is making groups separate again like we, a majority, wanted. Now, you can import your old groups into the new Groups app and just disable the Groups category from the Pages module. Simple. That is if you want to have only Fan Pages and then separate Groups.

• I was absent the day of the vote...

• lol. Thing is, this isn't hurting you at all. Instead, you either enable Groups app and have separate groups or you don't. However, for the rest of us that really needed it, we finally have it like it was in v2 which we had taken from us just because a former moderator thought Pages was a good idea. Before v3, we had Groups. Much better IMO :)

• On my V3 live site a few members have Pages set up as groups with members..will I be able to port these pages over to V4 Groups and just disable Pages?

• Yes per the tutorial you can import them. If you then don't want Pages, you can disable it. You can also keep Pages/Groups current module and not enable the Groups app at all. Whichever you wish to do.