Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.
All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.

Server load social Engine

I was curious if anyone has had any issues with server load with SocialEngine.

Im on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz 8 processors
16 gig of ram

My social engine index.php is using up to 57% of the cpu at times I have about 35 users online.

Is this normal?

What can I do to keep this script from taxing my server. Im about to have another SE script running on the same server also and my oad is going to be too high.

I use a 3rd party activity feed so maybe thats it but my members love it so I want to try and make it work.

I have it going through cloudflare and have redis but redis is not showing up in the admin panel for some reason.

Comments

• do you have a own server or a full managed one? in the second case you can ask to update the server. I can tell you that on my previous hosting, with a very low resources machine, i was able to have many ppl at same time without issues about load.

• I don't have load issues on my site, my demo or we don't see issues with the SE forum. But we don't use heavy add ons. I do know that plugins are not optimized and also a wall is the heaviest part of any script because so much activity is going on. When you add extra features to it you use resources. If you also use your server for mail, you add additional resource consumption so it's best to use a mail service such as Amazon, Sendgrid, Sparkpost, etc.

Yes, SE is a bit heavier than the other script we used but it's also got a LOT more great settings and far less other issues from what I've seen.

• Also, chats are extremely heavy. I never use chats as it internalizes the conversations and activities and doesn't contribute to site content or site activity. However, for those that need them, use one that at least offers external hosting. It will still add load to any script due to database open connections and chatting back and forth between users, but it will reduce a fair amount of the load in many cases.

• Yes im on dedicated, also my chat isnt up yet but when it is I have red5 video server on a different cloud server so that shouldn't affect mine.

These are things I need to have for my niche. I shut off the activity feed and put the core feed and it wasnt a difference that I could see but who knows. I really like the ease of this script. Ill just have to dig down and learn how to optimize it.

Ill be asking a lot of questions here.

I have redis installed but still cant get it to show up in the cache page =(

• edited December 2017

789 (Trace) (Kill) 0 62.64 0.16 /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php-cgi /home/****/public_html/index.php

Im just not understanding how ONE index.php call can take up 62% of 1 corof the cpu AFTER ive turned 3rd party activity feed off. this isnt making sense. My sever load jumped to over 25 when it should be around 2%

grrrr

• I think most of this was due to my migration script running. Didn't seem like it was taking much in resources but once it finished the numbers look better.

data66
  • also if you have select another service for storage can heavily use resources also if slow, it is normal hehe don't be scared and wait

max99