Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.
All code examples must follow the Markdown rules as this site uses Markdown. If you don't know how, click here for a tutorial. Any code examples not using Markdown will be deleted.

Base 5 - 3 Issues - 1 with Log in - 1 with Drop Down menus - 1 with moving profile links

Hi,

I just installed base 5 and I also found and followed the instructions given here including turning off mobile. http://scripttechs.com/forum/thread/2666/base-5-theme-mobile-view-problem/

On that discussion, there is one to move the top right profile links under account. I tried that - by selecting user.setting as the connector. (Cleared cache) But it did not move under there - and I had to just reset it. How do you get them to move under account.

Two other issues.

1. I have several specialized drop down menus and they are not displaying properly under either mobile view or on the pc view. On mobile they are cluttered and disappear under the next non drop down menu item below it. On PC view there is a set white background where the first few show up but then the rest go clear until you mouse over them. Is anyone aware of a fix for this?

2. The log in on the PC view - looks like a mobile view with a very small narrow active screen. This might be okay if I didn't have blocks with ads on them turned on and it pushes the log in to the right cutting it off.

SO - I went to manage blocks, but don't see one for the log in page allowing me to just turn them off there. Is there one?

OR if there is no easier way, (hope there is because I have a ton of ads) what disallow controller would I put in under the manage ads to keep them off that log in page?

Thanks so much for any help with this.

Comments

• Base5 had special install instructions for things that needed to be moved and disabled for the responsiveness. The menus need to be done as he mentions in his instructions as responsive themes have to adjust and so we can't have all those menus in the top.

If you go look at ScriptTechs, I have all of the menus under account. They should go there fine unless you have a bug. Have you thought to upgrade to 3.9 so you have all of the fixes? If you don't upgrade, you need to go in the database to move the menus or get our support for us to fix it for you. In version upgrades are free with our support.

We also include small css fixes.

For your ads, you would set the disallow controller if it's an actual ad. If it is a block, and if it is in sitewide, you would need coding to disable the ads on specific pages.

• edited September 2016

Hi Thanks for the help.

I followed the things you said to disable in that link I left - were there more? The upload I got had no instructions at all just the upload folders. Are they somewhere to be found?

Are you saying we can't have all the menus top right?

I was able to get the drop downs to work on the PC view by shortening some of them. BUT - on the mobile view they stay dropped down and cover up the other menu items below the drop down.

Do I have to pay to upgrade to 3.9 (I have 3.7.4 bld 2) ? I thought there were a lot of bugs in it that had to be fixed or was that a different version - 3.8?

• The instructions are what I put unless he added any before the v3 part of the store was removed at phpfox. Don't forget to change the sizes as it shows in the instructions I posted, the column sizes. Responsive themes are different from normal themes due to needing to change for various screen sizes.

I use v3.9 on my sites. It fixed a lot of old bugs before it was end of life as it was the final release.

You can have menus on the top right in the drop down as I said see scripttechs drop down, it has a lot of menus in it. :)

Upgrades are free if you use our support, for in version upgrades. If you get a support plan. Otherwise, if you can upgrade the site yourself, just download v3.9 and do the upgrade as they don't charge to download it.

• I am going to try moving the links by creating new ones. Editing the old ones and putting them under user.settings connector didn't work. I'll report back what happens. Putting the disallow in the ads did work to get the log in looking right but whew what a job.

What I am really down to is the mobile view - the drop down menus on base 5. Drop downs worked on default so I think this is definitely a base 5 issue - and I am not sure if I am explaining it right due to how you are answering.

This is what the menu looks like from the user view --- (and I forgot to mention - why would some be blue? It does't line up with the ones that have drop downs or anything else for a why that I can figure out.)
    http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/SafariWoman/menu from user home page why blue_zpsdm9vj8jm.png

This is what the menu looks like with one of the drop downs chosen
    http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/SafariWoman/user view menu drop down_zps0extt67z.png

This is what happens on the mobile view - the drop downs are not collapsed but permanently open covering up the other main menu items that should be appearing below
    http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/SafariWoman/Side menu on mobile and home page mobile_zpslro7pz4c.png

Thanks again for your help! I'm desperate to get this done.

• Did you make sure to disable mobile module as I mentioned?

• edited September 2016

@data66 said:
    Did you make sure to disable mobile module as I mentioned?

Yes - Extensions - manage modules - Mobile turned off - unless there is somewhere else to turn it off or related items too.

(I was able to get the links from profile moved under account in the upper right)

• What is left to fix?

• edited September 2016

@data66 said:
    What is left to fix?

Hi,

The main menu as it appears on mobile devices is still not at all functional due to how the drop downs are staying permanently open and covering up the main menu items. (last image I posted above)

I am not sure why so many main menu tabs are showing up blue on PC view of the user home page either. When I navigate to a section, like polls, only that menu tab is blue upon arrival to the section. I expect that, not several lit up blue on user home page. (The other two images show that)

• You might need to either send a ticket to TemplateMechanic or get our support ($10 per month with 3 month minimum = $30 and includes free in version upgrades and all of the stuff listed in the link in the top menu). It is not auto-renewing.

The other thing you could try is using inspect element to play with the CSS as you can do on the fly changes to see how something will look and if it works well the way you change it, then apply it to the custom.css file for the theme.

• I had this issue - Data fixed me up in no time

• @data66 said:
    You might need to either send a ticket to TemplateMechanic or get our support ($10 per month with 3 month minimum = $30 and includes free in version upgrades and all of the stuff listed in the link in the top menu). It is not auto-renewing.

The other thing you could try is using inspect element to play with the CSS as you can do on the fly changes to see how something will look and if it works well the way you change it, then apply it to the custom.css file for the theme.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will first try to send a ticket to TemplateMechanic because it would seem to be an issue ongoing especially after eading Zixia604's comment below about having the same issue. Before that I will try re-installing it just in case something went haywire.

I know you are beyond worth the time to sign up for your support, and I want to say that right up front. But I really can't afford it right now if there is any way at all to get this fixed otherwise. I do my own updates and prefer to continue to as well if I decide to upgrade to 3.9. I haven't read anything on that yet so I need to explore if I would be trading one set of bugs for another.

I looked at the details of support and being you specified certain other things on the upgrade levels, then it left me wondering what kind of support qualifies under the unlimited support tickets advertised, in case this is my only option, I would like to know what kind of issues are or aren't included.

Thanks again!

• @Zixia604 said:
    I had this issue - Data fixed me up in no time

Thank you for commenting. I know Data does good work. :) It surprises me to discover this is an ongoing issue. I chose this template mechanic theme because TM has such a reputation of having the templates work without any issues. I have been looking at a paid template and thought I would try this first to check out the quality of themes. Plus it is a nice them and for V 3 there aren't many out of the box themes to be found and probably no new ones to come. Even though it is a free theme, I would have not guessed an ongoing issue would not have been addressed by the theme builder by now.

• It is not an ongoing issue. It is a site specific thing that gets tweaked per site. :) As for our support, everything in the long list of stuff is included, including small css tweaks. Customizations are not included (such as making a new theme or making add ons). Feel free to ask in a ticket what we include and we can let you know.

If you can't afford it though, feel free to continue in the threads. :)

• I should clarify, in the business plans and above, those have some customizations and things. In the other plans, it doesn't include customizations other than small css tweaks.

however, it's fine asking here in the forum if you can't get the plans. We don't get upset about that. :) It's why our forum is here.

• Thanks Data - I am still considering my options. If only I weren't so broke, it would be a no brainer to sign up for the support.

• Inspect element should help you find the css to put in your custom.css file. If mobile is disabled, and if you made sure to clear all mobile cache from your phone browser and phone, then the mobile should be seeing the desktop view.

• Just checked my base5 site (the one that uses it) and don't have the issue you have. I'll pm you.

• Just a thought - I noticed the version of base 5 that I have is 1.1 is there a later version?

• You cannot test by resizing your screen. you MUST test from a mobile device. Just letting you know. Resizing doesn't work on responsive themes. It has to be from a mobile device to properly test responsiveness.

• Hi, Yes I know - I pmed you on this - it does make it look the same as it does on cell phones when you skrunch the browser to a slimmer view - it is for the cell phones that I need it fixed on but you can see what it does this way, on my site anyway.

• I think I see your issue. Are you sure you moved all of the menus individually and not the main menu with child menus into the account? You can't move a menu with child menus. You first move the child menus out and put those in Account and then you can move the main one. Such as Profile edit and stuff. You can see it on my sites. I have each menu by itself in the account tabs.

• edited September 2016

Yes I did move all of the menus under account individually but --- I accidentally put the main "profile" menu under account too and then it wouldn't move back to main right where I planned to turn it off. Maybe if I go back to default it will let me make that change. I believe I just turned it off. Besides Account with all of the pre-existing and previously "profile" children the only thing left is the admin link top right. I'll be looking into this thanks so much.

• @data66 said:
    I think I see your issue. Are you sure you moved all of the menus individually and not the main menu with child menus into the account? You can't move a menu with child menus. You first move the child menus out and put those in Account and then you can move the main one. Such as Profile edit and stuff. You can see it on my sites. I have each menu by itself in the account tabs.

Now, I even moved admin under account - turned it off on main right - moved the profile main menu out of account - turned it off - it's still screwing up the same on the main menus on mobile - so, hmm I'm pretty much out of ideas now I looked at css but can't see what is the cause

• I don't know as it doesn't do that on my site. Not sure what the issue is atm without looking.

• As things are now:

Many thanks to Data for checking it out and figuring out that Base 5 can not have drop down menus in the main menu section. I have a ticket in to the developer but so far no response. I'm not sure if this is seen as a design flaw or an added customization to make drop downs work. I had several custom main menu items dependent on drop downs. I made a less than desirable work around by linking the main menu item to a page I created for each menu that had children and typed in the children links on it.

If anyone else runs into this, something I wish I noticed up front is that to get the menu tab to light up blue when landing on the page linked to from the main menu, you must link it by selecting the page in the interface, not by adding the URL to the page. I had to redo a couple because I missed that.

My experience with other responsive designs are that drop downs can work on mobile. Normally that happens by clicking the main menu item, the menu opens downward to display the children and slides the main items past it down as well so they stay displayed. The problem was that the menus with children under them stayed open and covered up the next main items on the mobile view. They also stayed lit up blue on the PC view user home page.

If I had know this about the theme, honestly, I wouldn't have installed it. By the time this was figured out my members had already grown accustomed to it, and expressed their appreciation of the new look, so I was stuck with this work around instead of going back to the default to keep every one happier.

Maybe this will help someone in the future make the right decision for their site especially if no fix is offered by the developer. If you have no children in the main menus and only link to the modules as it comes out of the box, it will probably not be an issue.

I think a good responsive theme will have children operate on mobile as a standard not an exception. Not everyone operates their sites with out of the box modules and simple navigation needs.

I have another issue with this theme on mobile, and I'll start in a new discussion soon. I just spent a day on this and am thoroughly burnt out.

Thanks again Data!

• The base5 theme is a free theme. It is a very good free theme. For those looking, a free theme that took MANY man hours to do. Free themes are there for folks to use as is. There are options for customizations from the developer or posting here can help with users providing tips for customizations that might be needed. We use this theme and have no issues with it as is. We don't want people to think it is a bad theme.

• Im sorry as we put our paid clients first on our tickets.

But we did answer your ticket even for FREE.

If you want paid support please try bryzar.com

For clients that want free help please post in this forum.

We will try our best to answer here but atm we are still a bit busy.

You can see the demo here
    http://demo.phpfoxcloud.com/themes/base5/

It has child menus (blog > my blogs)

You can donwload the CSS directly from the demo site.
    http://demo.phpfoxcloud.com/themes/base5/theme/frontend/tm_base5/style/default/css/custom.css

• Thanks I have been afk - and I do want to acknowledge that I did get a response at TM's site with a file to download and suggestions. I had also asked there if it wasn't a theme issue how much would it cost to fix it. I have to wait until I again have time to re-try these files and it will be a few days due to my schedule. However many thanks for that answer. As soon as I can try out the new files and css page etc. I will get back to let everyone know the results. Again many thanks to all, not trying to dis the theme but now it appears it should have had drop down menus working properly and my comments were based on being told they wouldn't work that way. So anyway - I hope this fixes it. Like I stated, my members like the theme. My frustrations were based on the mobile not working as expected for main menus dropping down. I knew I had to be afk and either had to uninstall or come up with a work around - being my members liked it, I wanted to make them happiest as possible even though that was a lot of work.

• I had been told that before also. Glad they can work for you though.

• @data66 said:
    I had been told that before also. Glad they can work for you though.

I hope they do, it may be the upcoming weekend before I can try it out.